In-Home Care Resources:
Information on Caring for Aging Parents or Loved Ones
Below you’ll find useful resources on a variety of care-related topics, from choosing between in-home care and assisted living or residential care facilities to the complexities of senior care and the healthcare system.
Comparing the cost of home health, assisted living and other forms of care
According to John Hancock’s 2011 Cost of Care Survey, other senior care options are even more expensive that non-medical care:
- The 2011 average cost of a private nursing home room was $235 a day/ $85,775 annually.
- The 2011 average cost of a semi-private nursing home room was $207 a day/ $75,555 annually.
- The 2011 average cost for a month in an assisted living facility was $3,270 a month/ $39,240 annually.
- The 2011 average cost for a home health aide was $20 hourly/$37,440 annually.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures (PDF)
- Use of Advance Directives in Long-Term Care Populations (PDF)
- Understanding Elder Maltreatment (PDF)
Local and National Organizations:
- The Alzheimer’s Assocation – www.Alz.org
- CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions is a private, not-for-profit agency that helps seniors and people of any age with a disability remain comfortably and safely at home and out of institutional care. – www.cicoa.org