Once you’ve had a bite of these delectable hot sandwiches, you may never want a cold sandwich again! And you can use all wholesome ingredients, which means that someone following a healthy diet doesn’t need to worry about falling away from healthy eating. Try a healthy Panini in August.
Senior care service providers are always looking for delicious nutritious meals to serve their elderly adult.
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, chives etc.)
6 slices smoked turkey breast or ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked
4 sliced tomatoes
4 slices sourdough bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard and herbs and set aside
- Place 3 turkey slices, 2 cheese slices, 4 bacon slices and 1 tomato slice on half of the bread slices
- Spread remaining bread slices with the mayonnaise mixture and place with the mayo side down on top of the tomato
- Brush the outsides of the sandwiches with the olive oil
- Brown in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat (or a Panini press if you have one)
- Brown on both sides
- Serve and enjoy
Make a salad on the side to enjoy with your sandwich. If you find the sandwich too filling, serve only half per person with a nice side salad. Enjoying lots of fresh vegetables daily is part of a very healthy way of eating.
What are some good benefits to eating a salad daily?
- You get a couple of servings of vegetables
- They have lots of fiber
- Are usually fairly inexpensive
- Helps to lover cholesterol and prevent constipation
- Helps you feel fuller and thus eat less
- Experts agree that most Americans need to eat more vegetables, especially the dark green and orange ones.
- They provide a rich supply of powerful antioxidants
- Rich sources of folic acid, lycopene, vitamins C and E
- Linked to lower risks of developing cancer and other illnesses
It’s pretty easy to eat a salad every day once you get into the habit. And it doesn’t have to be exactly the same every day. There are so many vegetables to choose from, you should never get bored. Sometimes you may want to add a few slices of avocado, a fee cooked black beans, a few kernels of cooked corn, or a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. There are a lot of tasty ways to sneak nutrition into your food every day.
The caregivers at Great Care are available to talk with you and your family about all of your senior care needs. Great Care is an elder care agency providing quality and affordable senior care in Noblesville, IN and the surrounding areas. Call (317) 595-9933 for more information.